1. While performing an experiment to determine the percentage of water absorbed by raisins, the following data was obtained:
Mass of water taken in the beaker = 50 g
Mass of raisins before soaking them in water = 5 g
Mass of raisins after soaking in water for 2 hours = 8 g
The percentage of water absorbed by raisins would be
(a) (8-5)g/3g × 100
(b) (8-3)g/3g × 100
(c) (8-5)g/8g × 100
(d) (8-5)g/5g × 100
2. Each of the three beakers A, B and C contained 50 mL of distilled water. A student placed five raisins in each beaker. The raisins for each beaker weighed the same. The beakers were kept at room temperature. The raisins were removed from beaker A after 10 minutes, from beaker B after 20 minutes and from beaker C after I hour. On calculating the percentage of water absorbed by the raisins, it was found that
(a) maximum absorption of water by raisins was in beaker C.
(b) maximum absorption of water by raisins was in beaker B.
(c) minimum absorption of water by raisins was in beaker C.
(d) absorption of water by raisins are equal for all the three beakers.
3. While conducting an experiment to calculate the percentage of water absorbed by raisins which of the following materials is not required?
(a) Blotting paper
(b) Dry raisins
(c) Weighing balance
4. At the end of the experiment, ‘to determine the percentage of water absorbed by raisins’, the raisins are wiped just before weighing. This is to ensure that
(a) hands do not get wet.
(b) the raisins lose water before weighing.
(c) the weighing scale does not get wet.
(d) only water absorbed by raisins is weighed.
5. A student soaked 5 g of raisins in beaker (A) containing 25 mL of ice-chilled water and another 5 g of raisins in beaker (B) containing 25 mL of tap water at room temperature. After I hour, the student observed that
(a) water absorbed by raisins in beaker (A) was more than that absorbed by raisins of beaker (B).
(b) water absorbed by raisins in beaker (B) was more than that absorbed by raisins of beaker (A).
(c) the amount of the water absorbed by the raisins of both beakers (A) and (B) was equal.
(d) no water was absorbed by raisins in either of the beakers (A) or (B).
6. Which of the following set of materials is required to set up an experiment to determine the percentage of water absorbed by raisins?
(a) Raisins, beaker of water, blotting paper, weight box, balance
(b) Raisins, beaker, balance, weight box
(c) Raisins, water, balance, weight box
(d) Raisins, water, blotting paper, balance
7. A student soaked 5 raisins each of equal weight in three beakers A, B and C each containing 100 mL of distilled water and left them at room temperature. After 10 minutes, he removed the raisins from beaker A, after 20 minutes from beaker B and after 1 hour from beaker C. He calculated the percentage absorption of water in each case. If PA, Pa and Pc denote per cent absorption, then which of the following is correct?
(a) PA = PB = PC
(b) PA < PB > PC
(c) PA > PB < PC
(d) PA < PB < PC
8. Some raisins weighed 10 g before they were placed in water for 4 hours. The raisins were then removed, wiped and weighed again. Their weight was now found to be 12.5 g. The percentage of water absorbed by them, is
9. If x represents weight of soaked raisins and y represents weight of dry raisins then [(x-y)/y] x 100 is a way to calculate percentage of
(a) water absorbed by raisins in hypertonic solution.
(b) water absorbed by raisins in hypotonic solution.
(c) water lost by raisins in hypotonic solution.
(d) water lost by raisins in hypertonic solution.
10. Four beakers contain four different liquids as mentioned below.
I. Dilute sugar solution
II. Concentrated sugar solution
III. Concentrated salt solution
IV. Double-distilled water
Five raisins are put in each of these four beakers and left there for a few hours. The maximum percentage of water will be absorbed by raisins that are put in beaker
To determine the mass percentage of water imbibed by raisins MCQ 3
Time limit: 0
0 of 10 questions completed
Click on ‘Start Quiz’ to take Test
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
0 of 10 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)